Once you’ve completed your audio recording at Queens Road Recording Studio, the next step is to film your song by lip-syncing on location and/or in Green Key Studio, where post-production can place you in front of any location or backdrop with green screen.
For those of you who took part in the yearly album recording with Vocal Tuition, you now have a chance to experience film. A collage from each song will be put together and uploaded on to YouTube.
Preparation for video shoots is very important, as studio time is at a premium. For green screen, do not wear green or similar colours like yellow and aqua, or reflective materials, as this will cause unwanted transparency. The studio also has a no-glitter policy.
- Have a collection of well thought-out outfits (including accessories).
- Practice your make-up before the day and arrive with it on. It is very easy for the skin to become shiny, so make sure you have plenty of powder* for reapplying during the day.
* Recommended product: Ben Nye’s “Neutral Set” finishing powder.
- Hair. Practice variations in styles and come ready with your first look.
- Work on your choreography – especially if you find improvisation difficult. Pay special attention to your eyes and where they are focused, as they will be selling the story.
- Practice lip-syncing to your song – getting length and timing of words as close to the original as possible.
- There may be times of waiting so bring something to occupy yourself, with plenty of water and food for the day.
Once you have done all you can to prepare, enjoy the experience.